SWOP-Chicago is hiring a part-time staff person with the primary responsibilities of coordinating our weekly street outreach to workers in East Garfield Park, Rogers Park, and Boystown. At outreach, we provide condoms, sterile syringes, HIV testing, other resources, and connections to sex worker-friendly organizations in Chicago. The staff person will work with a high degree of autonomy in recruiting, coordinating, and training volunteers and will report to the SWOP-Chicago Board of Directors monthly. Most of the work can be done remotely.
The successful candidate will have strong organization skills, familiarity with social media platforms, and familiarity with the sex worker community and/or social justice organizing in the larger Chicago area.
Hours and Compensation
The position will begin immediately and will average about 10 hours a week for 6 months, with an opportunity to renew employment pending grant funding. Hours may be lower or higher in a given week according to programming needs. Compensation begins at $18/hour.
- Recruit and train volunteers in best practices for harm reduction and working with sex workers
- Coordinate all supplies and volunteers for weekly street outreach in Rogers Park (6-8pm) n Tuesdays, East Garfield Park (6-8pm on Thursdays), and Boystown (8-10pm on Thursday)
- Transport supplies to outreach location. SWOP-Chicago has a van and the street outreach coordinator must have a driver’s license.
- Collect data on populations served and services provided
- Interface with outreach partners including the Night Ministry and researchers at the University of Illinois – Chicago
- In addition to maintaining locations, SWOP-Chicago aims to partner with the sex worker community on Chicago’s South Side to expand to a fourth outreach location in 2019. The staff person will help research and collaborate with other organizations to assist this expansion
- Attend two 2-hour SWOP-Chicago planning meetings a month
Current and retired sex workers, people of color, and trans* and gender-nonconforming folks are especially encouraged to apply. Please send an updated resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com. Your cover letter should address your familiarity with SWOP, the sex worker community, and/or sex trade. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. To ensure your application receives priority review, please submit by noon on Tuesday, January 1.