Tips For Adult Film Performers-
2) Understand the common practices. Know what your rates are for various jobs. Hourly is not legitimate. Per scene or per day is standard for pay rates in porn.
3) It’s easy to get gigs if you are willing to travel, especially to LA. There are not a lot of legitimate companies in Chicago, but there are legitimate individuals.
4) There’s a misconception that if you’re filming it, it’s legal. In order for you to be protected by the First Amendment, there has to be intent to distribute. If a client does the filming and distributes the film, it can still be illegal if it’s solely for sexual gratification. Just because there’s a camera present while you are being paid to perform a sexual act doesn’t mean it’s legal.
5) Check out websites that specifically staff for adult gigs: adultstaffing.com, hardcoremodeling.com, sexyjobs.com, onemodelplace.com. If you have to pay to advertise, it’s going to be more legitimate than free sites. There are also legitimate talent agencies: World Modeling, LA Direct.
6) Ask lots of questions when you contact person when answering ads. Ask to see samples of their work. Ask to see a website domain. Ask if the have an LLC. Do they have information to show they are a legitimate company? Is there a studio or crew? If they can’t answer any of these questions, be wary.
7) How are they communicating with you? Are they respectful? Do they have a concept? Or is it just a guy who “wants to make porn?”
8 ) Ask about 2257 records keeping. If they don’t know what this is, they aren’t legitimate and can’t distribute. You will need to show an ID and sign release upon performing if they are legitimate.
9) Ask what their distribution intention is. Anybody can be on YouPorn. Websites and DVDs are harder to do.
10) Get real name of business owner and Google everything about them that you can.
11) If they aren’t emailing you from a legitimate business .com email address, they aren’t hiring for Playboy or Vivid.
12) Ask about STD testing. Most all adult performers in the US get tested through AIM and not local clinics. AIM has different types of HIV tests that your local clinics and cost more. If you are performing without condoms, you must insist on this type of testing. You CAN get AIM tested in Chicago and cities outside of LA.
13) If you are auditioning, it’s common to have to get naked or (for men) erect, but not to give samples of your sexual performance. Do not work for people or companies that ask you to do this.
14) If you are asked to perform for a “private collection”, treat them like you would an erotic service client and screen. This is not legal.
15) If you answer an ad and it says “Today” or “Tomorrow”, it’s not legitimate. You can’t do 2257 and STD testing same day.
16) Be aware of what you are getting into and ask for pay up front if the person you are working for seems shady. Ask for pay in cash if it is not an established company. Bring a friend or bodyguard with you if you are nervous.
Screening guide for indoor workers (not film): click here
Screening and safety for outdoor workers: click here